“Life is not just something to be endured. It is to be lived in joy, in fullness without limit.” (Ernest Holmes)
We are a Church of Religious Science. Religious Science was founded in 1926 by Dr. Ernest Holmes. The teachings are called the Science of Mind.
Woodland Chapel First Church of Religious Science promotes Spirit-centered living by teaching principles that heal the mind and body, expand prosperity, and nurture relationships in an all-inclusive, joyous community.
Religious Science exists to facilitate the reawakening of each individual’s awareness of the higher Self. We offer a message of the Oneness of Universal Life through Sunday services, Science of Mind classes, self-growth seminars, and individual counseling.
Religious Science is not in opposition to any religious belief or philosophy. Rather, it seeks to bring to light the thread of Truth which exists in all religions.
We recognize that each individual is on a path to his own fulfillment and must be guided by his/her own inner voice. We offer practical and definite methods with which each individual can create positive life changes. Among the benefits of the teachings of Religious Science is the understanding of positive prayer or spiritual mind healing. We refer to this as spiritual mind treatment.
Religious Science offers healing, spiritual understanding, and an opportunity to experience greater love, greater joy, and greater life expression. In the words of Dr. Ernest Holmes:
“There is a power for good in the universe, greater than you are, and you can use it!”
Dr. Holmes (January 21, 1887 – April 7, 1960) was the founder of Religious Science. His work in the Science of Mind is recognized today as one of the leading viewpoints in modern metaphysics and New Thought.
Dr. Holmes developed a universal philosophy and tools for spiritual living that profoundly resonate to this day. His work provides us with a personal spiritual path, an understanding of our relationship with the Universe, and a connected and joyful approach to daily living.
Dr. Holmes wrote his seminal book The Science of Mind in 1926 and revised the text in 1938 to create an edition that has since been published in several languages. Dr. Holmes is also the author of numerous other books on metaphysics and originated the international Science of Mind magazine, which has been in continuous publication since 1927.
Born in Maine, Holmes was largely self-taught, seeking out the writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Christian D. Larson, Thomas Troward and Phineas Quimby. Holmes moved to Southern California in 1914. He founded the Institute of Religious Science, which became United Church of Religious Science in 1953, and is now United Centers for Spiritual Living. Holmes inspired the “positive thinking” of Norman Vincent Peale, Peggy Lee, Cary Grant, Cecil B. DeMille and countless others without ever intending to create a religion or a following of masses of people.
Science of Mind presents a message of hope, help, and inspiration, for its practice and use extends into every form of human experience. Greater health, abundance, harmonious relationships, success, creative activity, joy, and peace become accessible.
- We are surrounded by a Creative Mind which reacts to our thought.
- We are thinking and active centers in this Mind, and the sum total of all our thoughts is either silently attracting Good to us or repelling It from us.
- We can change our thinking and in so doing, cause the Law of Mind to act affirmatively for us instead of negatively.
Woodland Chapel is:
- A place of learning where the principles of Science of Mind are taught. Together we explore how – through spiritual practice – we can use the tools of Prayer and Affirmation to attract more good into our lives and the lives of others.
- A spiritual home to learn to pray scientifically and effectively, through active acceptance of what God is, which is Love.
- A community in which to think and grow spiritually with others of like mind.
- A loving, safe place to celebrate the Truth that heals and sets us free to enjoy richer living!